[Users] Question about the treatment of incoming messages

Fri Feb 24 14:37:04 CET 2006

Antoine Fressancourt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the behaviour of OpenSER while treating incoming
> messages. This question may be a detail for most of the people here, but
> I think that it has an impact on the dimensioning of an OpenSER setup,
> especially if it is used to treat a large number of users / messages.
>
> I would like to know if Openser is able to store incoming messages in a
> queue when all the children launched by the program are occupied, or if
> the messages are rejected when no threads are available to treat them.
> For instance, if I launch openser with children=5 and these 5 children
> threads are occupied when a SIP message arrives, is the message rejected
> or is it stored in a FIFO queue ?

This is handled by the OS. The OS keeps FIFO queues for all sockets.
Once the queue is full, the OS discards packets.

You can see the status of the incoming queue with netstat.

> In addition, I would be interested to know which part of the code is
> relevant to look at to deal with this issue.

Maybe it is possible to adjust the queue size when opening the socket.
But in usual situations this is not necessary.

regards
klaus