[Users] Re: [Devel] avpops updates

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Sat Feb 11 16:12:13 CET 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 15:27, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> I would like to have a clear notation for avp aliases as well and your
> solution seems good. I was considering the notation from existing
> pseudo-variables. Maybe it would be better to force "i:number" and
> "s:string" also for values, to avoid other confusions.

I think that enforcing i: and s: for values is not necessary. You know
from the context that you handle a value so there isn't any confusion as
with pseudo variables versus aliases. And to have all strings (which are
used most) prefixed with s: may soon become annoying. I think that a
value without any prefix should be considered a string value by default
as it is now.

If we have these notations I think any confusion will be eliminated:

Pseudo variables (start with $):
$something        - pseudo variable

AVPs (in the form $avp(xxx)):
$avp(i:something) - integer avp
$avp(s:something) - string avp
$avp(something)   - avp alias if defined else string avp

Values (in the form "xxx"):
"i:something"     - integer value
"s:something"     - string value
"something"       - string value

They seem pretty consistent and confusion-free to me in this form.

--
Dan