[Users] NEW FEATURE: NAPTR lookup

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Sat Feb 4 11:01:54 CET 2006

Hi Greg,

at the moment there is no retry support for neither NAPTR nor SRV. The
resolver loops through all NAPTR/SRV records and looks for the first
NAPTR|SRV|A pair of records that can be successfully resolved to IP address.

The biggest problem with having retry support for the resolve is the
combination between parallel and serial forking. Lets supposed the
following scenario:
    uriA parallel forks to uriX and uriY
    both uriX and uriY leads to distinctive sets of NAPTR/SRV records.

in such a case, even if it's a single transaction, you have to keep the
state of the resolver for each branch to be able to do serial forking
independently on each of them.

Another problem is detecting the failures. According to "4.3 Details of
RFC 2782 Process" specifies usage on ICMP for UDP failures...and ICMP
support is not reliable (depends on OS) and tricky to implement.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying it's impossible, but it will take
some time to get to it... :)

regards,
Bogdan