[Users] SER vs openSER

Wed Dec 27 10:20:21 CET 2006

pankaj.munjal at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a SER/openSER newbie and was looking at an option of using these SIP stacks.

(open)ser is a SIP proxy, not a SIP stack. They include of course a SIP
parser, bit this is not well suited for use in other application.

Thus, if you are looking for a SIP proxy, (open)ser is a good choice. If
you are looking for a SIP stack then you might take a look at
http://pernau.at/kd/voip/bookmarks-sip-stacks.html

> Anyone having any doc/link that compares these two SIP servers.
> The major criteria that we are looking for are:
>
> - Simplicity of using the SIP stack (Most IMP)

ser and openser are IMO both not easy to use - configuration can become
real complex - there is no big difference between ser and openser.

> - Perfomance

Recently there were duscussions about the which proxy performs better.
IMO in a real usecase the performance heavily depends on the performance
of the backends (database, radius) thus there wont be great differences
between ser and openser.

> - Support for Presence

Both ser and openser have the pa module. This is rather old and buggy -
do not use it.

ser CVS as well has openser CVS has new presence modules which are
totally different. I haven't used either of them. Thus, you have to use
both and compare it yourself.

regards
klaus

> Any pointers in this direction will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Pankaj
>

> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
>
> WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
>
> www.wipro.com

Klaus Darilion
nic.at