[Users] Simplified multilateral peering for a lab environment

Thu Dec 7 13:09:40 CET 2006

Aaron Daubman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've found some decent documentation on secure multilateral peering
> for OpenSER, however I'm looking for something more simple.
>
> In a lab environment, I'm looking to set up four simulated
> geographically diverse networks all peering across a common backbone.
> Each of the four networks should have its own SIP registrar.  What I'm
> looking for is a quick guide on how to allow each of the four
> registrars tell the other three what prefixes are registered with what
> address so that all SIP UAs can dial just an extension  to reach UAs
> in any of the four networks.

There is no single solution. You can either use dedicated extension per
server (if the user has a home proxy and always registers to its home
proxy), e.g.

1000-1999 server 1
2000-2999 server 2

or you can have a database where you store which extension is on which
server and load the next hop with avp_db_load (of course all proxies
need access to this database). If users choose a registrar dynamically,
you have to update this database, e.g. with avp_db_write after
sucessfull REGISTER.

you can also use a private ENUM tree (if users always have the same home
proxy)

> Right now I'd like to leave things unsecured if possible (no need for TLS).

I would suggest to use TCP when the traffic goes via public internet as
UDP is spoofable, or use IPsec betwenn your proxies. Then UDP is fine too.

regards
klaus

> Also, if there are any good pointers for setting up the DNS in each of
> the four networks (each network will have its own DNS as well as SIP
> server) those would be useful.
>
> Finally, IPv4 references would be helpful, but seeing as this will be
> a v6-only setup, any reverences to IPv6 configuration guides regarding
> the above would be especially useful.
>
> Thanks again,
>     ~Aaron

Klaus Darilion