[Users] Load Balancing

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Tue Dec 5 14:51:50 CET 2006

I use UltraMonkey (www.ultramonkey.org), but it's basically a packaging
of Linux-HA and LVS.

LVS supports connection persistence, and that works very well.  The
level of granularity of load balancing is on a per-IP basis, not
per-transaction (LVS only does L3 load-balancing, not L4-7).  But
assuming a reasonable value for the persistence timeout, there should be
no problems with SIP transactions (and I haven't experienced anything
problematic).

Ldirectord also supports SIP health checks (they're pretty basic OPTIONS
requests, but it's something), and will fail over to working SIP
proxies.  Of course, in-progress transactions will fail as the OpenSER
process on one box doesn't have the stateful knowledge of the other.

Regards,
- Brad