[Users] lot of BYEs missing

Tue Aug 22 12:13:02 CEST 2006

Jayesh Nambiar wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I've been using openser for last one year and its working fine. Recently
> I upgraded my openser to 1.1 stable release which allows me to have more
> features.
> But for the last 15 days I have had many discrepencies in the
> accounting. Among 40 clients to whom we provide service, there was one
> client who had around 15,000 INVITEs without BYEs in a single day. The
> UA is a Cisco Gateway.
> I am aware of BYEs being missed with openser, but there used to be
> hardly 2% Byes missing. This is very unusual to me and I suffered huge
> losses due to this behaviour as all the calls were passed to a pstn gateway.
> The method of authentication that we use for these clients are IP based
> authentication. I use the function allow_trusted() to get the clients
> authenticated and make calls. These calls are sent to some Tier1
> carriers for pstn termination.
>
> I wanted to take some expert advice on this issue.
> - Is there any way that the UA can bypass the Openser after sending
> INVITE to openser even after record routing function is incorporated in
> the script.

If the gateway accepts SIP messages only from the SIP proxy, then the
client can not bypass the SIP proxy. Make sure to account loose_route
requests and failed requests as well. In my case check for a to-tag
after loose_route. Thus, if for any reason the loose_route function did
not catched the in dialog request, I log this event to identify broken
clients.

> - Is there a way that the UA can disconnect calls without sending BYEs
> to the openser.

The gateway should be configured to send BYE in any case (RTP timeout,
SIP session timer timeout).

> - Are there many risks involved in IP based authentication? I am using
> IP based authentication as these clients only want to call, they dont
> want to be called.

Yes, if you use UDP. UDP can easily be spoofed. Never use IP based
authentication with UDP!

> - If this was a problem with all the UAs, I would have thought that
> there must be some problem with my openser configuration, but this is
> with one particular client. The same Cisco gateway at other places work
> perfectly with hardly 1-2% BYEs missing which is affordable.
> This indicates that someone must have intentionaly done this.

Or the customers SIP client was going mad. SIP phones can behave quite
strange sometimes.

regards
klaus