[Users] docs and mysql passwords

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Apr 26 10:40:07 CEST 2006

Hi Mark,

Mark Kent wrote:

>Hello, I'm new to openser and am trying to get things set up with OSP
>on freebsd (5.4, but I'm open to using another version).
>
>I have one question and one suggestion:
>
>Suggestion: the docs at http://openser.org/docs.php should point at
>the manuals present at iptel.org (Admin guide and Developer's guide).
>Without that info, there is an enormous gap in what one has to know.
>
>In particular, 'man openser' says:
>
>     Full documentation on openser is available at  http://www.openser.org/.
>
>but, AFAICT, it's not "Full" without the critical foundation
>provided by these documents:
>
>http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/seruser/seruser.pdf
>http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/serdev/serdev.pdf

this docs are quite outdated and specific for SER, so they are not 100%
relevant for OpenSER.

>Question:
>
>The INSTALL for openser-1.0.1 says:
>

>>>8) default values (database url, users and passwords) are:
>>>- DEFAULT_DB_URL="mysql://openser:openserrw@localhost/openser"
>>>- r/w user: openser ; passwd: openserrw
>>>- r/o user: openserro ; passwd: openserro
>>>  NOTE: for security reasons, do change the values of passwords
>>>  after installation
>>>

>Once the passwords are changed in mysql (using mysql directly),
>what is the best and complete way to let openser know about the new
>passwords?

you need to change the db_url module parameters that need mysql access.

>The passwords seem to appear in openserctl and openser_mysql.sh.
>Are we really supposed to edit these scripts?  Where else should
>we "record" these passwords?

not necessary - you may use "rc" files in
    /etc/openser/
    /usr/local/etc/openser/
    ~/
names: .opensermysqlrc  and .openserctlrc

for .opensermysqlrc you may define:
    DBNAME, DBHOST, DBRWUSER, DEFAULT_PW, DBROUSER, RO_PW

and for .openserctlrc
    SQL_DB, SQL_HOST, SQL_USER, RO_USER, RO_PW

regards,
bogdan