[OpenSIPS-Users] TLS_MGM: Multi-domain Client Certificate Validation

Callum Guy callum.guy at x-on.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 10:27:20 EDT 2017

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for your response, based on your advice I performed a full packet
capture on the handshake and established that a certificate was indeed
being presented.

Following up on this I managed to establish that the problem was a missing
intermediary CA in the certificate chain, specifically:

https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/975/108/intermediate-2-sha-2-comodo-rsa-extended-validation-secure-server-ca

The error message presented by OpenSIPs was certainly misleading in this
case. For others benefit the approach for installing a new CA is super
simple:

   1. create the file in /etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors
   (i.e. comodo-ca-rsa-ev-secure-server.pem)
   2. run "update-ca-trust" with root privs

Problem solved.

Have a good day all!

Callum

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:48 PM Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at opensips.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> New TLS connection from 178.22.140.34:34281 failed to accept
> Jul 25 13:10:32 proxy.ex.com opensips[4881]:
> ERROR:proto_tls:tls_print_errstack: TLS errstack: error:140890B2:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:no certificate returned
> Jul 25 13:10:32 proxy.ex.com opensips[4881]:
> ERROR:proto_tls:tls_read_req: failed to do pre-tls reading
>
> Part of my reason for resorting to the mailing list are old mailing list
> emails discussing that multi-domain certificates are not supported by
> OpenSIPs - is anyone able to confirm if this remains a problem?
>
> The openssl error code 20 is translated as
> X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY
>
> I have seen other reports that this issue may be related to an improperly
> chained certificate - does this sound at all likely?
>
> Any tips on debugging would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
>
> Callum
> --
> Callum Guy
> Head of Information Security
> X-on
>

> *0333 332 0000  |  www.x-on.co.uk <http://www.x-on.co.uk>  |   **
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/x-on>   <https://www.facebook.com/XonTel>
>   <https://twitter.com/xonuk> *
> X-on is a trading name of Storacall Technology Ltd a limited company
> registered in England and Wales.
> Registered Office : Avaland House, 110 London Road, Apsley, Hemel
> Hempstead, Herts, HP3 9SD. Company Registration No. 2578478.
> The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
> addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
> X-on immediately on +44(0)333 332 0000 <+44%20333%20332%200000> and
> delete the
> message from your computer. If you are not a named addressee you must not
> use, disclose, disseminate, distribute, copy, print or reply to this email. Views
> or opinions expressed by an individual
> within this email may not necessarily reflect the views of X-on or its
> associated companies. Although X-on routinely screens for viruses,
> addressees should scan this email and any attachments
> for viruses. X-on makes no representation or warranty as to the absence of
> viruses in this email or any attachments.

Callum Guy
Head of Information Security
X-on

--

*0333 332 0000  |  www.x-on.co.uk <http://www.x-on.co.uk>  |   **
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/x-on>   <https://www.facebook.com/XonTel>
  <https://twitter.com/xonuk> *
X-on is a trading name of Storacall Technology Ltd a limited company
registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office : Avaland House, 110 London Road, Apsley, Hemel
Hempstead, Herts, HP3 9SD. Company Registration No. 2578478.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
X-on immediately on +44(0)333 332 0000 and delete the