[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS in the market.

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Oct 18 10:06:23 CEST 2016

> On 18 Oct 2016, at 08:46, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at opensips.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Rodrigo,
>
> The questions your are asking are hard to answer and the Open Source world is most of the times opaque when comes to who is using and how much is used. As anyone can simply download and start using (information on how to do it) is quite enough, you may have many cases were companies do use an Open Source software without "leaking" or "leaving traces" about that.
Yes, I agree. These kind of questions are really hard to answer. During the last ten years, acceptance of Open Source in production use for
commercial companies have changed worldwide. Open Source proxys like OpenSIPS and the relatives (SER, Kamailio) and other code bases
like resiprocate are taking the market together with media servers like Janus, Asterisk and FreeSwitch.

> This is also for OpenSIPS project - it is hard to say who is using and how the popularity is fluctuating and mainly because there is no much of a feedback (as it is free to use).
>
> Still, take a look at :
>      http://www.opensips.org/About/WhoIsUsing <http://www.opensips.org/About/WhoIsUsing>
>
> This is an attempt to list the companies willing to do it, it is not a full listing.
>
> Best regards,
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com <http://www.opensips-solutions.com/>
> On 13.10.2016 15:44, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho wrote:
>> Dear OpenSIPS users,
>>
>> As a teacher, I'm going to explain somethings about SIP and SIP proxies to my students.
>> So, I intend to talk about OpenSIPS too.
>>
>> 1- Is there some ranking in any web page showing what is the most used SIP proxies in the telecommunication industries?
The interesting part would be Open Source platforms vs commercial and non-Open platforms. But no, I am not either aware of such data.

>> 2 - Does the adoption of OpenSIPS, by telecom players, have been increasing ?
Yes

>> 3 - What are examples of most remarkable use cases with OpenSIPS in telecommunications?
If you widen the scope to “Open Source proxys” I would say that SIP as a protocol is making headway in interesting
areas. SIP is part of a European standard for live radio broadcast. It’s also part of a standard for air traffic communication,
connecting radio masts to a flight control tower.

I’ve built solutions for both of this standards with Open Source SIP software.

So it’s no longer just about “telecommunications” - SIP and the open source software is starting to deliver on
the original SIP vision - a realtime communication platform for Internet users.

To stay in telecommunications there are many presentations from our various conferences that will
give you ideas on where and how it is used. The new black is of course Open Source mobile network
platforms - after ISDN and SS7 this is the new interesting area to cover with Open solutions.

Regards,
/O