[OpenSIPS-Users] Rtpproxy and IPV4 IPV6 interworking

Răzvan Crainea razvan at opensips.org
Tue Nov 8 08:57:30 CET 2016

Hi, Robert!

See my answers inline.

Best regards,

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Solutions
www.opensips-solutions.com

On 11/08/2016 02:15 AM, Robert Dyck wrote:
> I have some question regarding rtpproxy capabilities in relation to IPV4-IPV6
> interworking.
>
> The articles I have read say that you need to assign an address from each
> address family to rtpproxy. They go on to say that rtpproxy will then be in
> bridged mode. Others define bridge mode as assigning two interfaces to
> rtpproxy.
As long as you have RTPProxy listening on two IPs, you have it set in
bridge mode. It doesn't matther whether one of them is IPv6, or both are.
> If the IPV4 and IPV6 addresses are on the same interface, is the rtpproxy
> indeed in bridged mode? Should one avoid the use of engage_rtpproxy?
Yes, as stated above, RTPProxy is in bridged mode and you should avoid
using engage_rtpproxy(). That's because the function can't know/decide
which interface is which and cannot map with the RTPProxy's one.

> Assuming that IPV4- IPV6 interworking is actually possible using opensips and
> rtpproxy, does that mean that an instance of rtpproxy is not available to
> enable NAT traversal - would NAT traversal require using another instance of
> rtpproxy using a single IPV4 address?
No, you don't need an extra instance - a single instance will do both
bridging and nat traversal.

> Furthermore is the multihome parameter relevant to IPV4-IPV6 interworking if
> opensips only listens on one interface?
The multihome parameter is only relevant for OpenSIPS, it doesn't
influence RTPProxy's behavior at all.