[OpenSIPS-Users] 408 for non-invite request

Patrick Wakano pwakano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:45:23 CEST 2014

Hello list,

I have a scenario with mobile user - Opensips - Asterisk and I was having
some trouble with Options requests sent from Asterisk to mobile user.
Due to a high value of the qualify timeout on Asterisk a and low value of
the fr_timeout from tm module, Options requests sent to unreachable users
were being answered with a 408 by Opensips and so Asterisk was considering
the user reachable when in fact they weren't.
After some debug I discovered that the low fr_timeout was inducing a fast
408 reply back to Asterisk, and since its qualify mechanism accepts *any*
reply as valid, then the user remained reachable until the registration
expired.
Problem was solved but during my research I found the RFC4320 (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4320.txt) that deals with this situation.
According to it, I think that Opensips should not send this 408 for
non-invites. Not sure if Opensips should implement anything related but I
thought it was worth the advice!

Regards,
Patrick