[OpenSIPS-Users] Questions about initial setup

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at endaga.com
Thu May 15 03:36:04 CEST 2014

Hey Users,

I'm a developer with a lot of experience in FreeSWITCH trying out OpenSIPS
for a larger, more central piece of infrastructure. I started investigating
it a few days ago with the following use case in mind:

FS instance with users attached.
OpenSIPS in the cloud routing the FS communications to another cloud
provider (e.g., Twilio).

I've got FS set up with our OpenSIPS box as an external provider and a set
username and password. That seems to be working. I set up OpenSIPS from the
opensips APT repository (http://apt.opensips.org/) and version 11.1. It's
running, configured with TEXTDB, and I inserted the username and password
(after modifying the DB schema to allow null emails, which I guess is an
ancient bug... http://sourceforge.net/p/openser/bugs/593/).

The registration from FS is being rejected as a 483 "Too many hops" This is
strange. I removed the 483 check in the opensips cfg and now it's a 408
Timeout. OpenSIPS itself it complaining in the following way. The actual
log is also available, but too large for the mailing list.

May 15 01:27:34 [26230] WARNING:core:fm_malloc: Not enough free memory,
will atempt defragmentation
May 15 01:27:34 [26230] ERROR:tm:relay_reply: no more share memory
May 15 01:27:34 [26230] WARNING:core:fm_malloc: Not enough free memory,
will atempt defragmentation
May 15 01:27:34 [26230] ERROR:tm:_reply_light: failed to allocate shmem
buffer

Googling this error brings up a few hits on issues with a memory leak, but
that can't be the case here as it is just started.

Ideas? What am I doing wrong? Is this is right use case for OpenSIPS anyhow?

Thanks!