[OpenSIPS-Users] Compress RTP packets in opensips or rtpproxy

kaushik parmar androidjpc0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:50:07 CEST 2014

Hello,

I want to compress RTP packets in opensips or rtpproxy. Can anyone guide me
or give me suggestion to achieve compression of media packets in opensips
or rtpproxy? I have referred LZ77 , LZW , Huffman , ROHC algorithm for
compression. Is there any specific file that can compress RTP packets in
opensips or rtpproxy? Is there any library file that can be used in
linphone to achieve media compression?

I read that ROHC compression algorithm can do better job for RTP
compression. It can remove 40 Bytes (IP Header 12 bytes + UDP header 8
Bytes + RTP Header 12 Bytes) of overhead and compress 40 bytes to 2-3
bytes. So rtp will send only 2-3 bytes of header plus 20 bytes of payload.

Please Suggest best method to compress media packets.

--
Kind regards,

Kaushik Parmar