[OpenSIPS-Users] MediaProxy - db user and privileges

Gary Patton gpatton.public at outlook.com
Thu Jul 17 17:27:52 CEST 2014

Good morning everyone.  Back to learning OpenSIPS 1.11.1 + MediaProxy 2.6.1 integration.  As a student, I tend to read installation instructions before attempting the actual installation and I have questions.
The MediaProxy config.ini file has a database section.  The installation docs don't mention installing a database as a prerequisite before installing MediaProxy.  Also, the example dburi= references a MySQL server, so I assume I can specify the IP address of MySQL server running on my separate OpenSIPS box and use that instance of MySQL.
Also, the example dburi= parameter specifies a user ("mediaproxy"), a "CHANGEME" placeholder for the user's password when the user acceses the db, and a MySQL db name ("mediaproxy").
So, my questions:
(1) It appears that the MediaProxy config.ini file will create the table "media_session" in the "mediaproxy" database.  Because I don't see anything in the config.ini file that appears to create the "mediaproxy" MySQL db, I must first manually create the "mediaproxy" MySQL db on the OpenSIPS box, correct?
(2) And also create the "mediaproxy" user with all privileges against the "mediaproxy" database?
(3) Or, will executing the DEB repository command "apt-get install mediaproxy_dispatcher mediaproxy_common" on the OpenSIPS server (the MediaProxy dispatcher) automatically create the required mediaproxy database/user/table?
() Should I also grant the "opensips" user all privileges against the "mediaproxy" database?
=====
I looked over documentation on the ag-project.com site.  There on the 1st page of the installation guide was this:
"MediaProxy must run natively on the host operating system and not in a virtual environment."

Because I'm a student and don't have a spare server (or PC), I had planned on signing up for the free server from Amazon's AWS Free Usage Tier and installing MediaProxy on it.  I expected horrible performance, but I thought it would at least work so I could see how NAT transversal worked in OpenSIPS.
So, as far as you know, MediaProxy *must* be installed on a physical server?  Especially since the config.ini file mentions something about the relay being being NAT but is mapped to a public IP address like in Amazon EC2.
Or can it be installed on a virtual machine but it will have really bad performance?  (I wonder if it's the same for VMware / Rackspace / Azure / . . ."  I can accept poor performance - especially with the free AWS server - as long as it still works!
Thanks to everyone for their patience and for helping me trying to understand how OpenSIPS and MediaProxy interact!
Regards,
Gary