[OpenSIPS-Users] MediaProxy questions

Gary Patton gpatton.public at outlook.com
Fri Jul 11 00:44:53 CEST 2014

Hello.  Some MediaProxy questions.
I've been trying to follow these installation how-tos and OpenSIPS integration pages: http://mediaproxy.ag-projects.com, http://voiprookie.blogspot.com/2009/04/blog-post.html, http:www.smartvox.co.uk/serfaq_install_mediaproxy2.html, and http://antechxxx.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-manual-installation-mediaproxy.html.  Those are useful in their own way (and I thank the authors), but I'm still not 100% clear.
First - it's terrible but I'm not sure which is the dispatcher and which is the relay.  I believe OpenSIPS is the dispatcher and MediaProxy is the relay.
Second - The VoIP Rookie blog says
In order to build and install, MediaProxy has the following requirements:- Linux (at least 2.6.18) with the following features compiled in:- netfilter support- connection tracking support- connection tracking netlink interface- connection tracking event notification API- netfilter "NOTRACK" target support- netfilter "CONNMARK" target support- netfilter "connmark" match support- IPv4 connection tracking support- IP tables support- IP tables Full NAT support
I looked into compiling the Linux kernel and it seems kind of crazy that I need to compile (or recompile) my Linux distro in order to install/run MediaProxy. I've searched how to compile the kernel with those modules/features and I can't find anything specific, just general instructions on how to compile the kernel from source. (If anyone knows of something specific to MediaProxy please point me in the right direction!)
Can't I just install netfilter, iptables, conntrack, etc, support for MediaProxy via the "apt-get install" method instead of compiling those into the kernel?
Third - I'm making a big assumption that you'd install OpenSIPS and MediaProxy on separate boxes in a production network.  If so, I'm not sure which box I would permanently configure IP forwarding on?  The dispatcher (OpenSIPS) or the relay (MediaProxy)?  Or is it both?
I would really appreciate some direction since it's very confusing to me.  Thank you very much.
Regards
Gary