[OpenSIPS-Users] Failover/Registration timeout question

Schneur Rosenberg rosenberg11219 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:46:56 CEST 2014

Hi Bogdan and the OpenSIPS community

I currently use OpenSIPS for loadbalancing and registrations, all the rest
of the call handling is handled by a cluster of Asterisk servers, I
currently have 3 Opensips servers 2 are located in same DC and are in a
active/passive Master/Slave mode via Hertbeat and they both replicate the
DB via Master/Master replication (from now on server A and server B), the
other server is located in a different DC and opensips always runs (from
now on server C) and it gets copies of the DB once every minute via a
mysqldump from the Server A and the usrloc timer is disabled.

Server A and B failover via Heartbeat and mentioned above, sever C takes
over if the DC of server a and B falls (it happened a couple of times
recently that they had a DDOS attack) and the failover happens by my DNS
provider via failover DNS.

I'm having issues with this setup and I would like to change the DB setup,
I would like to have the replication run on the Server A and C, and have
server B use database from sever C, this way all servers will always work
on a live DB (except in the highly unlikely situation that  server A and C
both fail at the same time)

Here is my questions

1) is it a problem that I have server C using the timers to delete
expired registrations if the clocks are synced via NTP sources? in
the  past when I had 2 live servers on the same DB with timers enabled on
both, they were losing registrations, I believe it was because the system
clock was off a little, so I want to know if using NTP clock sources is
good enough.

2) Is it a problem to have server B work on a DB that is located remotely,
as I said he will be using the DB from server C (im using DB mode 1) I'm
not so worried about speed at the moment, I just don't want calls to get
lost, and its very rarely that server B gets used, because most of the
problems are DC related and at that time server C will take over, not
server B