[OpenSIPS-Users] Reception of "100 Trying" doesn't cancel tm fr_timer

mayamatakeshi mayamatakeshi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:07:27 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM, mayamatakeshi <mayamatakeshi at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, mayamatakeshi <mayamatakeshi at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM, mayamatakeshi <mayamatakeshi at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> we are using opensips 1.6 r. 7055 under CentOS 5.3 x86_64 and this works
>>> fine on several machines.
>>> I am tasked with preparing upgrade to CentOS 6.4 x86_64 so I have
>>> prepared a Virtual Machine to run this OS,  installed opensips and used the
>>> same opensips.cfg .
>>>
>>> However, I am seeing the following issue: reception of "100 Trying"
>>> doesn't cancel module tm fr_timer but if other provisional responses like
>>> "180 Ringing" is received, fr_timer is canceled.
>>> I am sure the "100 Trying" is received by opensips because it doesn't
>>> retransmit the INVITE.
>>>

>> Sorry, by mistake I looked at the wrong capture. Indeed, opensips is
>> retransmitting the INVITE. But checking Call-ID, from-tag and Via headers,
>> they match and so, opensips should not do retransmission. It seems somehow
>> it is ignoring the "100 Trying".
>>
>> So to further investigate I enabled debug with "opensipsctl fifo debug 4"
>> (instead of default debug 0), but surprisingly, now opensips accepts the
>> "180 Trying"  (doesn't retransmit the INVITE) and fr_timer is canceled.
>>

> In the above I meant "100 Trying".
>

>>  I tested several times and just by switching debug off and on is enough
>> to cause the problem to appear/disappear.
>>

>>> Everything else seems to be fine.
>>>
>>> Does anyone has any idea why this could be happening?
>>> Also, to confirm I have prepared 3 CentOS 6.4 x86_64 VMs, but in one of
>>> them the problem doesn't happen but I don't know why this is so as i
>>> compared the packages installed (yum list installed) and they are all the
>>> same, including version numbers.
>>>

>> Also, on the machine where the problem doesn't manifest itself, it is the
>> opposite:
>> if I enable debug with "opensipsctl fifo debug 4", fr_timer fails to be
>> canceled by "100 Trying".
>>

> Retrying several times, the problem occasionally happens on this machine
> too. So it seems to be some race condition.
>
> I was able to try with latest revisions of 1.7 and 1.8 branches and the
> problem also happens with them.

In my tests, I have this scenario:
  sipp uac --> INVITE -->  opensips --> FreeSWITCH
  sipp uac <--  opensips <-- 100 Trying <-- FreeSWITCH
however, if I replace FreeSWITCH with a sipp uas, the problem doesn't
happen.
I took care of preparing the sipp uas to generate the  "100 Trying" exactly
the same as FS would do it, but still I could not reproduce the problem.
So i think the presence of FS has some strange influence in the environment
and i cannot  be sure the problem is with opensips itself anymore.
Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
Takeshi