[OpenSIPS-Users] Best way to Integrate Presence with IM in VoIP environment

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Mon May 7 09:38:55 CEST 2012

Hi Duane,

On Apr 28, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Let me ask you this
>
> Just like Iñaki always says, I seem to notice that with most XCAP clients (all except for the ones AG Projects develops) they don't work perfectly with OpenXCAP.
>
> Examples
> 	• I found a bug with Counterpath Bria and it doesn't work according to the RFC (http://opensips-open-sip-server.1449251.n2.nabble.com/OpenXCAP-user-authentication-format-td5794424.html).  I told Counterpath about that almost 2 years ago and they keep telling me that the next release will fix it.

Then you'll probably need to manually enter credentials :-S

> 	• When a Jitsi client adds a buddy it adds a different xml format to OpenXCAP and things start to get weird and presence doesn't work when other users have a different xml schema (http://opensips-open-sip-server.1449251.n2.nabble.com/A-little-XCAP-schema-help-td7440425.html)

Apparently I missed that email, sorry about that. Documents are equivalent, one of them has the CounterPath namespace, but since it's not used it doesn't matter, and the other one defines the pres-rules namespace in all elements belonging to that namespace instead of defining it at the top with a prefix, but the meaning is the same.

I fail to understand what you say about different schemas, can you elaborate? Also note that there are 3 XML documents involved here and so far you only showed one: pres-rules, which contains authorization rules. The "buddylist" is stored in resource-lists and when a client sends a piece of presence state it does it in PIDF form. Even if authorization is correctly processed the PIDF might not, and that would be a different issue.

> Those are pretty much the only clients I know that support XCAP (besides Blink's Mac version.  Zoiper supports XCAP Authorization but not Contact Storage).
>
> So I guess it isn't possible to do what I asked with SIP and XMPP.  Is there a possibility to have some kind of frontend to OpenXCAP that could act like OpenSIPS does and allow you to view the GETs and PUTs and edit them if need be?  That way if the client doesn't follow the XCAP RFC 100% you can manipulate the GETs and PUTs.  Just trying to think outside the box.

You could write something sitting in front of OpenXCAP, but trust me, you don't want to go there. The problems you are seeing are caused by the way XCAP and SIMPLE are specified, too loosely IMO. There is nothing you can do if 2 vendors create valid documents but don't understand each other.

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects