[OpenSIPS-Users] Is OpenSIPS the right tool for the job? And if so, what version?

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:44:56 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<bogdan at opensips.org> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Welcome to the SIP club ;) - we all the time looking for new victims ;) .

Hehe, yea so far I have to admit feeling very intimidated by it all.
Lots of new stuff to learn.

> Now, depending what is the distribution logic you may use different
> functionalities in opensips. Like if you wan to simply distribute the calls
> over the FS boxes, try the load balancer functionality (see
> http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutLoadbalancing) - dispatching works
> in a similar way.

I've also looked at these two pages:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Enterprise_deployment_OpenSIPS
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/OpenSIPS_configuration_for_2_or_more_FreeSWITCH_installs

A lot of the terminology used is still very arcane to me, but I expect
things will get "easier" when I get my stack of SIP books from Amazon.

> For dialed number based routing (like in your case), you can use Dynamic
> Routing module (prefix based routing) or the dialplan module (regexp based
> detection of numbers and routing). DR has a built in failover mechanism, for
> dialplan you need to do it manually from script - but first read the docs
> for these 2 modules.

I suspect my telco will simply forward the incoming calls to my
OpenSIPS server(s) and from there I need to figure out how to deal
with them, yes?

> At the end, yes OpenSIPS is the right tool for that - as version use the
> 1.7.2 (latest current stable).

1.7.2 is what I'm using. Works a charm on my Slackware boxes. I really
have no idea what I'm doing, so currently I'm just trying to get a
feel for the software. I have though managed to get it going with
PostgreSQL, added a user and registered a softphone. YAY! for me.  :D

Thank you for your speedy reply Bogdan.

Sincerely,
Thomas Løcke