[OpenSIPS-Users] Calling MediaProxy twice for same call results in no voice

Jayesh Nambiar jayesh.voip at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 11:53:50 CEST 2012

Hi All,
I have a following scenario:
1) I have one opensips proxy(proxy1) where sip endpoints register and sends
calls to.
2) The calls from proxy1 is sent to another opensips proxy(proxy2) which
routes calls to PSTN carriers.
3) Both the proxy1 and proxy2 have mediaproxy module loaded and the
dispatcher on each server is connected to the same media-relay(Relay1).
The problem is here:
1) When a call comes to Proxy1, I call engage_media_proxy. This allocates
media ports from Relay1 and sends the call to Proxy2 for call completion.
2) Now the Proxy2 is again calling engage_media_proxy, since the Proxy2 is
configured in such a way that it calls engage_media_relay for every call
signaled through it.
3) Now since the Proxy2 is also configured to use the same media-relay that
Proxy1 was using, the Relay1 allocates media ports for same call from the
same media-relay again.
4) Theoretically, I assumed that this should work but it results in No
Audio on both ends.
5) But, When I enabled a condition in Proxy2 which says that if the call is
initiated from Proxy1, don't call "engage_media_proxy", the voice is good
and both parties can hear.

I understand that it is not right to call media_proxy twice for the same
call even if it is from different opensips proxies, I am only curios to
know what goes wrong in this scenario.
These are two different opensips calling "engage_media_proxy", so why and
where does the mediaproxy get confused??

Any ideas in making me understand this concept will be very helpful !!

Thanks in advance,

--- Jayesh