[OpenSIPS-Users] Hello World

SamyGo govoiper at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 06:56:47 CEST 2012

Hi,
Welcome to the community. Here is what I've to answer for your questions.

is possible and advantageous to use opensips together with asterisk?

what are the benefits?

Yes, On a very starter level, OpenSIPS comes into play when Asterisk
reaches its capacity. So the advantage is obvious. Moreover, OpenSIPS is a
SIP proxy and you can do a lot of things with it using the large number of
modules available. i.e do Authentication of incoming Registrations by
RADIUS server. Cache the users specific data into memcachce/casandra/redis.
Send a push notification message to the registering customer "Welcome Back
<Customer_Name>" and send a pop-up(NOTIFY) to the customer's IM buddy list.

There are huge possibilities for the implementations. see the modules
docs<http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsModules18> to
learn what modules are there and what they can do.

That all is happening on the SIP packet level before reaching to Asterisk
or Sylkserver or Freeswitch or sems. Again, study the modules, do some
googling and I really hope you develop yet another great module for
OpenSIPS.

For getting familiar with opensips configurations and routes see these
webinars: http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Webinars
Here are few tutorials to start practicing:
http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutorials
For getting familiar with opensips module development see these great
webinars: http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsDevel

BR
Sammy