[OpenSIPS-Users] Redirect server failover question

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Mon Apr 23 21:24:16 CEST 2012

Hello All,
I'm sending calls to a redirect server and I have a specific need. There
are multiple redirect servers I can pick from so what I need is to ensure I
get a FAST reply from the redirect server or I want to give up on it.

When the redirect server is slow, I don't get a 100 Trying until I get the
reply.. For example

INVITE
300ms
100Trying
1ms
302 Redirect

What I'd like is to basically say, if I don't get a 302 in Xms (and I
really mean ms here) then give up and hit failure route (or something else
trapable).

I've adjusted fr_timer and fr_inv_timer all the way down, but it's still
too slow. And in the absence of a provisional reply, I get retransmissions
which means that the INVITE will hang out for a few seconds before rolling.
Ultimately if I don't get a provisional reply in 500ms I want it to give up.

I have tried to adjust the T1 and T2 timers to make retrys faster (the
servers are all right next to each other so network latency isn't an issue
really), but there is still a whole lot of retransmissions and I can't find
a way to suppress the transmissions from the sending side.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brett