[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS running out of memory after a few hours

Jock McKechnie jock.mckechnie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 00:00:17 CEST 2012

In addition to my MediaProxy loading learnings I'm also discovering
that there appears to be some fiddling to get OpenSIPS to handle this
kind of loading as well. I have a fairly simple configuration which
engages media proxy and forwards packets onto a single destination
proxy (who then sends the calls onto the carrier).

When I load up OpenSIPs with around 1400 inuse_transactions it'll
click along for an hour or two and then it'll bomb out with:
WARNING:core:fm_malloc: Not enough free memory, will atempt defragmenation
ERROR:core:do_action: memory allocation failure
<OpenSIPS threads shutting down here>
ERROR:nat_traversal:save_keepalive_state: failed to open keepalive
state file for writing: Permission denied
CRITICAL:core:sig_alarm_abort: BUG - shutdown timeout triggered, dying...

I'm using the Debianised 1.6.4-notls under a VM with 512MB of RAM. I
have OpenSIPs set to allow 128MB in /etc/default/opensips. We have
almost two hundred OpenSIPS proxies all running on 64M and I've
_never_ managed to make one croak, but I imagine this one is much more
heavily loaded due to the volume of calls along with the use of the
dialog module for mediaproxy.