[OpenSIPS-Users] Cannot Register Phones (Newbie question)

Jerry Richards jerry.richards at teotech.com
Wed Nov 30 22:05:51 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm new to OpenSIPS and just trying to install it for the first time on my CentOS 5.3 machine, but I cannot register a phone.  I did not change any of the default configurations.

Here are the steps I followed based on the install doc:
1) Downloaded the source code for version opensips_1_7
2) "make prefix=/opt/opensips all"
3) "make prefix=/opt/opensips install"
4) "cd /opt/opensips/sbin"
5) "./opensips"
6) "./opensipsctl moni" and this gets the following errors and returns to Linux prompt
        ERROR: Error opening OpenSIPS's FIFO /tmp/opensips_fifo
        ERROR: Make sure you have the line 'modparam("mi_fifo", "fifo_name", "/tmp/opensips_fifo")' in your config
        ERROR: and also have loaded the mi_fifo module.
7) I tried to register a phone with extension 1003, but it gets UNREACHABLE DESTINATION

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?  By the way, there is no file called "/tmp/opensips_fifo" and I don't know how to make it create one?

Thanks,
Jerry