[OpenSIPS-Users] yet another hardware question

Matt Hamilton mistral9999 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:07:24 CET 2011

I know this question has been asked before, and probably the answer is "it depends". Unfortunately we are on a very tight schedule - not much time to experiment, so I appreciate it if someone can give us a couple of pointers.

I am in the process of purchasing a server dedicated to OpenSIPS which I plan to use as a load balancer for Asterisk servers. I'm trying to find out the minimum requirements for a such server that should be able to handle up to 5000 concurrent calls.

Which is important for OpenSIPS performance? memory, processor, disk i/o, all of the above ?

For example, is a quad core processor such as X3470 (2.93 Ghz) with 8GB RAM good enough? Adding more cores; e.g. upgrading it X5600 (6 cores) help or is it too much?

We will use a separate, dedicated server for the database, so how much local disk I/O performance affects OpenSIPS?

Thanks,
Matt