[OpenSIPS-Users] SMS using opensips

Jayesh Nambiar jayesh.voip at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:38:52 CET 2011

Hi All,
I am trying to implement the SMS feature for my SIP clients, outgoing as
well as incoming. I am planning to use Kannel SMS gateway to interface with
the gsm networks.
After googling a little on this topic i found a few approaches for sending
out SMSs, like the following:
Sending SMS from the SIP Client:
1) Inserting the messages into a database and let Kannel periodically check
and send it out.
2) Use PHP-SIP package. Send a SIP Message from Opensips to the webserver
address and web-server sends an http request to the Kannel server to take it
ahead.

Receiving SMS on SIP-Client
1) Kannel sending an http request to the web-server supporting PHP-SIP and
web server sending a message using the XMLRPC method, then opensips can use
t_uac_slg to send the message to the SIP endpoint.

Please do let me know if the above approaches are doable or if anyone else
have got a better idea to implement SMS over SIP.
Thanks a lot in advance.

--- Jayesh