[OpenSIPS-Users] b2b top-hiding ate a 491

Ovidiu Sas osas at voipembedded.com
Fri Mar 18 18:39:12 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Jeff Pyle <jpyle at fidelityvoice.com> wrote:
> Ovidiu,
>
> Acknowledged on the b2b module.
>
> In my experience it depends on the carrier.  Some cases either side
> can/will send the re-invite.  In other cases, the term carrier requires
> that the originating side send the re-invite (the Adtran in this case).
>
> The Adtran CPE can be configured to do any of the above.  It can be
> configured to send a G711 or T.38 re-invite on the detection of any
> variety of signals:  v8-ansam, v25, v21 preamble, etc.  It's quite
> flexible.  We've found the T.38 success rate increases with the sooner the
> re-invite is generated, so we send it as soon as possible.  I believe that
> is the v8-ansam or v8-ansam-pr tone.  This does break modem compatibility.
>  One thing it cannot differentiate (to the best of my knowledge) is
> whether it is the term or orig side when it comes to the re-invite
> behavior.  The global "voice fax-tone ..." command set applies to all
> calls on all ports if the DSP detection is enabled on a particular port.
>
> Do you have any links to RFCs or other documents that say the term side
> should be the one to generate the re-invite?  I'm not against it, but I
> would like to review it and send it to some of my upstream carrier
> partners since it is contrary to their configuration.

IIRC, the T.38 spec requires this.  The V.21 preamble is the sequence
that should trigger the T.38 re-negotiation because it is a clear
indication that this is a fax and not a modem call.  You don't want to
switch to T.38 for modem calls.
V.21 preamble should be detected on the termination side (receiver of
fax) because the sequence is generated there.

Hope this helps.
Ovidiu