[OpenSIPS-Users] [NEW] More on NAT and TCP handling

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Fri Jun 24 13:20:46 CEST 2011

Hi all,

OpenSIPS trunk (future 1.7 release) has a new TCP extension to prevent
opening TCP connection to destination behind NAT.

The main addressed scenario is : (1) user from behind NAT registers with
OpenSIPS, (2) the TCP conn is lost because UAC reboot, net issues,
firewall issues, opensips reboot, (3) opensips needs to send a call to
user, but there is no TCP conn available anymore and a new one cannot be
opened.
In such a case, it is efficient to detect such cases (we when based on
user location that the destination is TCP and nated), so we can avoid
the penalty of trying to open an impossible TCP conn ; also we can force
the "unregistration" of the user, as it is not reachable anymore.

For more details on the technical side (how to do it) and a small script
sample, see:
         http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsCoreFcn#toc80

Best regards,

OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"