[OpenSIPS-Users] First release of SylkServer application server

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Sat Jan 29 00:43:49 CET 2011

Hi,

On 01/28/2011 10:05 PM, Jeff Pyle wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Trick question or not I was curious about the same thing.  Asterisk's
> timing issues, for example, are well known in many parts.  Yet that seems
> to be okay these days in a VM.  I have Meetme conferences running in a Xen
> domU with no problems.
>
> It's my limited understanding that how an application references a timer
> will dictate its feasibility in a VM.
>
> So, in this case, think it might work?

SylkServer uses PJMEDIA as the media backend, which uses the physical
soundcard as a timing source. If there is no soundcard thread based
timing is used.

Rack servers don't usually have a soundcard, so running without a
soundcard and running virtual ins kind of the same.

About Asterisk, the timing issues were resolved long ago and works very
well with DAHDI if HPET is enabled. Latest releases support other timing
sources: TimerFD and pthreads based timing. AppKonference did the timing
and on its own, but it also brought another advantage: the possibility
of not to use Zaptel/DAHDI (MeetMe uses DAHDI mixing engine, so it's
limited to 8KHz...).

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects