[OpenSIPS-Users] multiple use_media_proxy() calls

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Thu Jan 20 21:13:29 CET 2011

Yikes.  Good to know; thanks.

Here's the issue.  Today I use media relay in limited cases, only when I have to have it for internal network reasons.  Long story, but if I don't use it, QoS doesn't happen right.  Anyway, it's about 1% of total traffic.  No big deal.

I've had no issues with the dialog module over the last 2 years or so.  (Counting blessings…)  As such, I use the engage_media_proxy() command.  It works — most of the time.  Unless an upstream carrier lets some media "leak" through outside of the ports indicated in the SDP that hasn't arrived yet.  The relay locks onto the wrong ports, and we get one-way or no-way audio.

This happens in one particular carrier's case when they route-advance on SS7 behind the scenes as a function of their Sonus GSX.  They can't tell me why any media comes through at all on the first (disregarded) route.  But, the SDPs they send do have the correct ports for the second (utilized) route.  This SDP comes after the leaky media.  Mediaproxy, being primarily a NAT traversal mechanism, listens more to what's really happening on the network rather than what's happening in the SDP.

And now the part I haven't researched fully.  I'm hoping to be able to "reset" the media relay with an end_media_session() then use_media_relay() in an onreply_route to force a port re-detection in the relay when the 180 w/ SDP comes through (after the incorrect media dribble has completed), and ultimately the 200 OK.  I may break more than I fix with this.  Time will tell.

If this or something like it works, I'll be able to use the relays more.  Which is something I'd like to do – mostly for accounting.

- Jeff