[OpenSIPS-Users] Two Opensips proxies sharing the same DB

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Thu Jan 20 20:54:42 CET 2011

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Pyle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're looking to add a second Opensips instance on a separate server
> for failover. Or, from an operational perspective, it could be
> described as "active-active" since both will be available at any one
> time. We'll control the traffic flow to the proxies with the SRV
> records used by the clients.
>
> Looking through the db tables used, it seems there may be some
> conflict with the location and dialog tables.
>
> The usrloc module clearly saves the local socket used during the
> registration. Is there a way to tell Opensips 1.6 to ignore this when
socket;s are discarded at load time if not local.
> That way, either proxy can use records saved by either proxy. A force
> socket option perhaps to the local IP? Clients are all public IPs – no
> NAT.
depends on what db_mode you use for usrloc - if you use a DB mode
involving caching, the DB is read only at startup (otherwise, at
runtime, it is just written), so data will not be shared at all. Of
course you completely disable the usrloc caching via DB_ONLY db_mode,
but the performance penalty is high - maybe you should consider register
replication at SIP level.

> The dialog table also saves the local sockets. Will there be a
> conflict here? I don't expect the Opensips processes to use each
> other's dialogs, so my goal is they will simply ignore each others'
> records.
simply use different "dialog" tables for the 2 instances - anyhow there
is nothing to share here.