[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS as regional/national office solution

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Tue Jan 18 14:45:07 CET 2011

Hi Skyler,

I guess the first big decision is about the architecture:

1) fully centralized  - phone from all location do register and send
calls to a single SIP server (in a master location)  (as Mark suggested)
Advantages : simple arch, easy to put in place, few components, easy to
provision and collect CDRs (a single point)
Disadvantages : if one site loses the IP connection, it will be
completely down (not even in-site calls will work)

2) distributed arch - your idea, of placing a small IP-PBX in each
location do handle in-site calls and a master sip server to connect all
sites and to do PSTN termination.
Advantages : a site may survive (as internal calls) even if disconnected,
Disadvantages : complex arch, multiple components (PBXs, servers),
complex provisioning.

So, depending on + or - for each approach, you have to choose the best
way for you.