[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS as regional/national office solution

Skyler skchopperguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:28:43 CET 2011

Mark -

 Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they are definitely helping to put the
pieces of this puzzle together. Today I spent most of the day mapping out
each office via the net and found the common backbone interconnects. At
these x-connects I found 2 data centers. All offices are 30-40ms from one or
the other and both DC's are 15-20ms from each other. I couldn't figure out
what the distance would be from the DC to the provider, though I know the
provider is in a major DC and one Province over so it can't be more than
15-20ms across the backbone.

 Both DC's offer dedicated servers, so we are going to look into putting one
server at each DC and ditch the original regional/national plan for a more
conservative and easy to manage plan. I'm confident now that there will be
better overall quality going this way.

Now its time to unscramble the mess that is my install notes and document a
clean OpenSIPS+Asterisk install before moving further. After that I'm a bit
lost though as I know that we need NAT but not sure which solution is best /
easiest to work with (RTPproxy, NAThelper, MediaProxy). From what I've read
up on each, Nathelper seems to be built into Osips whereas RTPproxy and
MediaProxy require a possibly troublesome install vs loading module/adding
code. Searching the mailing archives hasn't been enough for me to decide on
a winner.

 From what it sounds like, you have a lot of experience in the setup that
I'm working on building. Out of curiosity, which method do you prefer for
resolving far-end NAT issues?

Skyler