[OpenSIPS-Users] [MediaProxy] desirable media-relay server attributes

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Mon Jan 3 21:41:07 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm spec'ing out some servers to be media relays running Mediaproxy 2.4.x.  Assuming a standard Debian stable install with the appropriate packages pulled from testing, which attributes are most desirable:  fewer, faster processing cores or more, slower processing cores?

For example, would it be better to have an 2 processor box each with 8 cores at 2.0 GHz (AMD), or a box with 2 processors each with 4 cores at 3.6 GHz (Intel)?  I'm not interested in the brand warfare but rather the question of speed and quantity of processing cores.

I would imagine this comes down the multithreaded ability of the linux kernel and how the conntracks use it.  There are those on this list with much more knowledge and experience than I at these things.  Any thoughts?

Also, would memory speed come into play here, or would I run out of bandwidth way before it would matter?

- Jeff