[OpenSIPS-Users] new install and INVITES not being forwarded

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Wed Feb 2 13:04:56 CET 2011

Hi Brett,

Brett Nemeroff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <bogdan at voice-system.ro <mailto:bogdan at voice-system.ro>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Gareth,
>

>     Gareth Blades wrote:
>
>         I am having a problem with running opensips in debug level 6.
>         When opensips is set to this I am finding that it takes a long
>         time to respond to register requests (over 5 seconds compared
>         to a fraction of a second) which means that my phone times out
>         when trying to register so I cannot then debug trying to send
>         calls through.
>
>     woow...that is really strange.....never encountered something like
>     that....do you log to stderror(console) or to syslog ?
>

> Bogdan / Gareth,
> I've seen this on several installations. Exactly as you describe. If
> you search the archives, you'll see others have reported this as well.
> The problem seems to be in the syslog configuration. If you switch
> your configuration to use asynchronous writes, you'll see performance
> improve dramatically. In syslog, this is done by placing a minus sign
> before the filename. For example /var/log/opensips.log becomes
> -/var/log/opensips. Your distribution / syslogger may vary.
>
> And yes, this is apparent on a system with no load, and SINGLE SIP
> users. With full logging and no modifications to syslog, I've seen on
> *many* systems REGISTER timeouts. Took me a while to track it down;
> suspecting all sorts of other IO issues.
>
> Bogdan, I'm not sure if this should be expected or if it's an
> indication of a more serious problem in OpenSIPs. If it's not an
> indication of a coding problem, then I believe this information should
> be in the documentation somewhere (if it's not already)?

The problem is not opensips related - the syslog is seen as an external
I/O (as DB, DNS) which unfortunately blocks.

And, yes, it may be a good idea to have it somewhere - for example you
can add something to the "Tips and FAQs" section:
                http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTipsFaqs

OpenSIPS Event - expo, conf, social, bootcamp
2 - 4 February 2011, ITExpo, Miami,  USA
OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"