[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS or Kamailio

Erik Dekkers erik.dekkers at wvds.nl
Wed Feb 2 09:37:13 CET 2011

Toyima,

This question is asked many time before :). Kamailio and OpenSIPS have the same roots. However,  they differ more and more over time since each project is going it's own way.
Bogdan has made a nice description of his (and the community's) vision on the future of Opensips: http://www.opensips.org/Development/NewDesign

I would say: install both in e.g. a VMware environment and use what you like most. I've installed both kamailio and opensips and selected opensips in the end. My reason for choosing opensips:

-          Opensips is from my point of view more 'cleaner'. My experience with Kamailio was that it's looks pretty chaotic with the pre - past 3.0 modules/configs. For a beginner and noob like me that's not very useful

-          Opensips has a active IRC channel where you can ask questions and get (mostly) direct response.

-          Book (https://www.packtpub.com/building-telephony-systems-with-opensips-1-6/book  ) of opensips to study.

-          EbootCamp (http://www.opensips.org/Training/EBootcamp )to learn hands-on how opensips is working. All done via the Internet and good source for study either.

Again, everything above is based on my own experience. But if you asked me, I definitely would recommend OpenSIPS.

Erik