[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS & Apple Push Notifications Service

Paul Wise pabs3 at bonedaddy.net
Thu Sep 30 08:56:15 CEST 2010

Hi all,

We would like to implement support in our server for Apple's Push
Notifications Service (APNS). The way this will work is that when a call
comes into OpenSIPS for one user (from another user or another domain)
and that user is not registered/online, we wake up (or launch) our SIP
app on the user's iPhone by sending a push notification to Apple, who
forward the notification to the user's iPhone. Our SIP app then starts
up, registers to OpenSIPS and receives the call/text. Most of this is
easy, some quick perl functions to generate APNS packets in OpenSIPS,
socat to connect to Apple and forward the packets, monit to keep socat
running, cron+socat to download feedback information for when people
uninstall our SIP iPhone app, msilo for storing MESSAGE requests before.

The part that I haven't be able to figure out how to do yet is how to
connect the incoming call to a user when they have registered.

I thought maybe direct the call initially to an asterisk media server
(for a ringing tone), wait for a timeout, check if the user is now
online and if so connect them. Then rinse and repeat. This seems a bit
hacky, I'd prefer for the REGISTER handling to immediately direct the
call to the right contact to reduce unnecessary delays.

Has any one done this before or have any ideas for implementation?

--
bye,
pabs

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/