[OpenSIPS-Users] media-relay warning

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue May 25 21:19:28 CEST 2010

On 25 May 2010, at 19:52, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Saúl,
>
> That makes sense.  I'm more busy today than curious but thanks for
> the info!
>
> Is this calculation used for documentation only?  Does disabling it
> affect any operational aspect?

It won't affect any operational aspect. It's only used to gather
statistics. If you disable it you won't know how much data was moved
through the relay by each session.

>  Would its running too slow cause any traffic issues through the
> relay, particularly unscheduled disconnections from the dispatcher?

No. It has no relation with the connections. The only downside of
having it enabled when it takes too much to compute is that the
function that gathers the statistics is blocking. That means that if
the relay is asked to add a new session at that time it won't do it
until the statistics gathering function returns. Existing streams that
belong to already established sessions won't be affected as they are
already processed inside the kernel. The only thing affected is
setting up new streams which is only delayed until the statistics
gathering function finishes its job. In your case if such a request
comes it will be delayed by approximately 11ms, which will not affect
your operations in any visible way. The message is printed as a
warning. We considered that blocking the processing of requests for
more than 10ms is undesirable, but in practice you won't see any
difference even if it takes 100ms to gather the statistics.

> I'm trying to diagnose the root causes of some issues we had this
> morning and this information will be most helpful.

If you have one way audio or disconnections, those are in no way
caused by this. As I said, once the session is established, the data
is forwarded by conntrack rules in the kernel and it will not be
affected by any delay in response from the relay. The only negative
effect you can expect if the statistics gathering time is too high, is
a delay in establishing the session.