[OpenSIPS-Users] keepalived for HA OpenSIPS

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 11:06:17 CET 2010

On 15 March 2010 09:52, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro> wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> As I understand you try to solve the SPOF issue with the your opensips
> front load balancer, right ? Instead of adding another component to do
> the monitor the LB, why not using a HA system (vrrp, heartbeat, etc) to
> have an active-backup configuration for the LB ?

Hi Bogdan,

That's what I said:

"We'd like to put a keepalived in front of both OpenSIPS servers".
keepalived is VRRP.

My question is you'll still have just one keepalived server monitoring
the systems.

I'm trying to understand what others do here. We have for this customer:

DC1:

OpenSIPS <-> Asterisk...Asterisk...Asterisk

DC2:
OpenSIPS <-> Asterisk...Asterisk...Asterisk

What do others put in front to switch between the two datacenters but
still avoiding having one keepalived/heartbeat server inbetween these
two DCs?

Do you address this by having a few heartbeat/keepalived servers that
get returned for the DNS records, for example:

sip.mycustomer.com returns a keepalived IP that is running in each
datacentre whereby each VRRP server points to both DCs. Then if anyone
one goes down its points to the other?

Thanks,

Gavin.

--