[OpenSIPS-Users] asymetric rtp problems with mediaproxy

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Thu Jun 17 18:44:11 CEST 2010

Hello All,

Jeff Pyle brought this issue up some time ago. Using Mediaproxy, basically I
have a provider that says in SDP to use one port, but sources it's own RTP
from a different port.

I'm not sure if this *actually* breaks any kind of RFC.. What happens is
Mediaproxy tries to stuff RTP into the port it SEEs RTP coming from
(symmetrically). So it's basically completely ignoring the SDP which very
clearly says to use a different port.

The provider states that this is our lack of compliance and that we aren't
following the SDP. Which is true.

So who's at fault here? Mediaproxy? Or the provider? This is direct to a
major Tier-1 provider (fwiw).

Just browsing the Mediaproxy code, it *appears* to not use the SDP port for
anything other than the logs.

How would RTPProxy handle this call? Will it work the same way? Or will it
honor the SDP properly?

Thanks!
-Brett