[OpenSIPS-Users] questions on localcache and memcache module

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Jul 16 13:27:34 CEST 2010

Hi Jayesh,

Jayesh Nambiar wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a requirement of storing approximately 25000 IP Addresses in
> Cache for faster processing.
Note that the permission module (address table) does caching of the IPs
- it loads the IPs from address table at startup and use at runtime only
cache ; also it provides a reload functionality (for runtime, to refresh
cache from DB). See:

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.6.x/permissions.html#sec-address-permissions

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.6.x/permissions.html#id267314

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.6.x/permissions.html#id267431

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.6.x/permissions.html#id267516
> I also have requirement of keeping the expiry period pretty high which
> would be like 10 days. There are certain key-values which might also
> have expiry value of 30 days, so different keys might have different
> expiry time.
with permissions, you can reload the IPs at any time.
> For the above mentioned requirement, is the localcache sufficient or
> memcached server is recommended?
I would go for memcached, as localcahe is not restart persistent - you
will loose the content when restarting. Also the localcache is a cache
to be used (put and get) only by opensips, so you cannot interface with
other application...
> What should be the ideal value of cache_table_size parameter if I go
> ahead with the localcache module?
for 25K records, considering a 10 addresses per hash entry -> 2500
entries -> use size 11 (2048 entries)
> Are there fifo commands available or any other way through which I can
> flush the values in the cache table other than restarting the opensips
> service?
localcache has no db persistence
> Are there any known issues or problems while using these modules in
> large number of transactions per second traffic scenarios?
not known