[OpenSIPS-Users] 3rd party Client sending 5xx

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Tue Jan 5 04:43:16 CET 2010

Aditya,

That all depends on the switch.  Asterisk sends a 503 if you look at it the wrong way, that is, under many conditions.  In my experience most carriers will send a 503 when their upstream paths are full (or your concurrent calls to them is full) and they expect you to route advance to another carrier.  A 503 could cause a proxy or a switch to blacklist the host that sent it for a period, so proxies (Opensips included) will convert a 503 to a 500 before relaying.

When a switch has trouble processing the request because of some internal issue, say, a database error, it will reply with a 500.

This list is by no means all inclusive.  Hopefully it will point you in the right direction.

- Jeff