No subject

Thu Dec 2 10:23:01 CET 2010

e scalability and stability. I don't have the financial and manpower re=
sources for a large scale implementation so am looking at getting a high en=
d server and a solution that can scale well until I can through in more res=
ources. It seems also FS is more stable than * which is a huge plus for a s=
mall operation like mine and since I only need few features from the soluti=
ons available then FS makes more sense<br>

ins <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:msc at freeswitch.org">msc at freeswi=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

he replacement for OpenZAP) and it will be a full-featured PRI stack. If yo=
u&#39;re missing anything in the PRI implementation then Moises Silva would=
 definitely want to hear about it.</div>

n fact, we have an intrepid community member who is building &quot;Jester M=
ail&quot; as a FS alternative to Asterisk&#39;s Comedian mail. The basic id=
ea is that Jester Mail will be 100% customizable such that you can drop in =
FS as a replacement for Asterisk and your voicemail users would be none the=
 wiser.=A0</div>

ger <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dave.singer at wideideas.com" targ=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">We have both asterisk and Freeswitch in prod=
uction. The primary place where we have * installed is as a pbx for our bus=
iness customers (where we started doing business and didn&#39;t know any be=
tter). We are still using * for them for two reasons: migration time and vo=
icemail app I feel is still better in a couple points. They are low volume =
usage so crashes are very rare.<div>

We also have some boxes where we connect to telecom PRI=A0circuits=A0where =
the API for FS doesn&#39;t support some params we need to set. So we are st=
uck there for now. There systems handle moderate volume, 30 - 90=A0simultan=
eous=A0calls. This call volume has proved to be deadly to asterisk and we h=
ave to restart asterisk daily or suffer a crash in the middle of peek times=
.</div>

ed with Opensips as a class 4 switch (whole sale trunking service). With hi=
gh powered servers (latest dual xeon quad core, 16GB ram, and 10Gbit ethern=
et) it can handle thousands of=A0simultaneous=A0calls. They run for months =
without problem (would be longer but for reboots for upgrades, etc., not FS=
 crashes).<br>

We also have a class 5 system that handles residential users which uses FS =
and opensips for failover. Again no FS crashes.</div><div>FS is also our co=
ut using * building the business PBXs. Later found FS as we were developing=
 the residential system and converted to using it.</div>

ays of doing things like the flow of the dialplan where all conditions are =
evaluated at the time of entry to the dialplan, not as each line is execute=
d (executing another extension solved this problem for me).</div>

er in almost every area, especially stability and=A0flexibility.</div><div>=

quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">

Comments inline. (Full disclosure: I am on the FreeSWITCH team, so if I com=
v>On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:paul.gore.j at gmail.com" =
target=3D"_blank">paul.gore.j at gmail.com</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:paul.gore.j at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">paul.gore.j at gmail.com</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">We use freeswitch in prod alone, no opensips=
 yet. I would say fs is definetly more scalable than *.<br>
MMV, but a large percentage of FreeSWITCH users have abandoned Asterisk spe=
cifically because of stability issues, like random and inexplicable crashes=
.</div>

border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
* has substantially better interface for control over socket connection - i=
t&#39;s easier to implement and it&#39;s more consistent.<br></blockquote><=
/div><div>This statement is patently false. The FreeSWITCH event socket int=
erface is incredibly powerful and is absolutely more consistent than the AM=
I. Those wondering about inconsistencies in the AMI should listen to a seas=
oned AMI developer talk about the challenges:</div>

=3D"_blank">http://www.viddler.com/explore/cluecon/videos/29/</a></div><div=
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Configuration wise, I think * is easier, xml- based approach in fs is cumbe=
 really is like Coke vs. Pepsi. Some people hate XML, some people hate INI-=
style config files. Personally, I&#39;ve done both and now that I&#39;m acc=
ustomed to FreeSWITCH&#39;s XML files I find them much easier to read than =
Asterisk&#39;s config files. There is one &quot;real advantage&quot; to usi=
ng XML for configs and that is that machines and humans can both produce XM=
L, so it&#39;s relatively simple to let a machine generate XML-based config=
s on the fly. (FreeSWITCH uses &quot;mod_xml_curl&quot; as the basis for dy=
namic configuration - it&#39;s very cool and I recommend that you check it =
out.)</div>

border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
We have endless problems with fs nat handling, lots of no audio issues with=
 end users behind a nat. That&#39;s why we want to try opensips solution fo=
 which don&#39;t handle NAT properly or NAT devices that scramble ports and=
 IP addresses when packets pass through. FreeSWITCH has several NAT-busting=
 tools to assist the system admin. Some tools are for when FS is behind NAT=
, others are for when the phones are behind NAT. Bottom line is this: if th=
e NAT device and the phones are not horribly broken then FS works great wit=
h NAT and in many cases &quot;just works.&quot; However, when you start mix=
ing crazy scenarios with broken phones then bad things will happen. Example=
: Polycom phones are wonderful except that they don&#39;t support rport - F=
S has a mechanism to assist with this but if you turn it on to &quot;fix&qu=
ot; the Polycom phones then it will break all other phone types. (There is =
a limit to the amount of pandering that the FS devs will do in order to int=
erop with broken devices. In many cases they simply say &quot;NO&quot; to d=
oing stupid things in order to work with broken devices. If you must work w=
ith such a device then perhaps FreeSWITCH isn&#39;t for you.)</div>

imple mantra that they follow to the letter: Use what works for your situat=
ion. If Asterisk works for you then by all means use it! You won&#39;t hurt=
 our feelings. (I work daily with the FreeSWITCH dev team.) If you have peo=
ple knowledgeable in Asterisk or FreeSWITCH then it might be advantageous t=
o go with the project for which you have more resources. In any case, if yo=
u are interested in FreeSWITCH we have a great IRC channel (#freeswitch on =
, an actively mailing list, and a small but growing international community=
 of users. You are most welcome to join us to see what we&#39;re about.</di=
v>

gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex">

-----Original Message-----<br>