[OpenSIPS-Users] Freeswitch vs Asterisk

Dave Singer dave.singer at wideideas.com
Wed Dec 8 18:53:15 CET 2010

We have both asterisk and Freeswitch in production. The primary place where
we have * installed is as a pbx for our business customers (where we started
doing business and didn't know any better). We are still using * for them
for two reasons: migration time and voicemail app I feel is still better in
a couple points. They are low volume usage so crashes are very rare.
We also have some boxes where we connect to telecom PRI circuits where the
API for FS doesn't support some params we need to set. So we are stuck there
for now. There systems handle moderate volume, 30 - 90 simultaneous calls.
This call volume has proved to be deadly to asterisk and we have to restart
asterisk daily or suffer a crash in the middle of peek times.
We use FreeSwitch as the workhorse with a custom routing module combined
with Opensips as a class 4 switch (whole sale trunking service). With high
powered servers (latest dual xeon quad core, 16GB ram, and 10Gbit ethernet)
it can handle thousands of simultaneous calls. They run for months without
problem (would be longer but for reboots for upgrades, etc., not FS
crashes).
We also have a class 5 system that handles residential users which uses FS
and opensips for failover. Again no FS crashes.
FS is also our conference server for all our services.

We started out using * building the business PBXs. Later found FS as we were
developing the residential system and converted to using it.
Coming from * to FS has some difficulties because of the different ways of
doing things like the flow of the dialplan where all conditions are
evaluated at the time of entry to the dialplan, not as each line is executed
(executing another extension solved this problem for me).
I do think FS has a little higher learning curve, I have found it better in
almost every area, especially stability and flexibility.

Well, those are my 2 cents. :-D
Dave