[OpenSIPS-Users] re-INVITE from external gateway

Daniel Goepp dan at goepp.net
Fri Apr 23 01:20:10 CEST 2010

I have two questions, one specific and one general, but I have a feeling the
answers might be similar to both.

First, we are having an issue with a gateway that does a re-INVITE.  The
call scenario is like this, registered user X calls out via a carrier to the
PSTN, we identify that the customer is behind NAT, and do the proper contact
rewrite.  However then the carrier then re-INVITEs at 15 minutes to make
sure the call is up, everything goes through fine, except we are not
rewriting the contact in the 200 OK back, because the carrier was not behind
NAT.  So my thought is that this would be a situation for an AVP (of which
my knowledge is limited and I can't wait for the next webinar on the
topic).  That when the call gets setup, I set a variable to identify that I
should act differently for this call when I see that re-INVITE.  Or would
the more appropriate solution be to just bit the bullet and use the dialog
module?  Or perhaps there is yet another better solution I'm not aware of.
I haven't implemented the dialog module so far due to concerns regarding
resource consumption.  So I guess the bigger question is, do most of the
folks out there use the dialog module?

My next question is related to the fact that the default route for a call
that has a totag (existing transaction) is route 1.  However the initial
call might well have been routed using a different route in the first
place.  Again, I was thinking would I use AVP here to put into the has totag
section of the script to go to the same route used the first time, or should
I again be looking to the dialog module to just make sure I'm keeping track
of all calls more completely, and then can make sure that a subsequent
messages coming in with a totag, that was let's say originally routed using
route 3, again goes to route 3.

I sort of feel I have answered my own question here, that dialog is my only
solution, but any feedback regarding other people experiences is handing in
call re-signaling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-dg