[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS with MySQL Cluster NDBCLUSTER

Stanisław Pitucha viraptor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 23:23:33 CEST 2010

Hi,
You may have different environment at your site, but this is my experience:

- NDB is hard to setup / maintain - it might seem easy at the start
(trivial even), but when something fails and a node doesn't want to
reconnect to the cluster again, you're left on your own with the source.
Not many people know NDB and since it's not included in the standard
package anymore, not many will learn. It's also sometimes hard to figure
out which node has problems - sometimes frontend doesn't connect because
of manager problems.
- I don't think you can actually create a monitoring tool which is able
to report the precise problem for you - many times when I had a node
which could not connect, the only people who could help me were ones on
irc after looking though a long debug log from the node starting up.
- Opensips schema is simple and trivial to replicate with id skipping.
Whatever you're trying to achieve with NDB, will be very likely possible
with master-master replication between standard mysql hosts.
- Unless you're handling all the calls of a small city, one host (with
enough memory and cpu for handling databases) is enough to support all
your needs.

After a couple of spectacular failures of the NDB setup, I migrated to a
master-master replication with one ip failover (so that only one db at a
time gets the actual mysql traffic). I haven't touched it since then.
If you have some experience with managing NDB, or handle enough traffic
to justify it - go for it. But I would recommend scaling down - most
likely NDB would just add new parts which can fail in new ways.

Stan

PS. I tried this around 2 years ago - things might have changed since then.