[OpenSIPS-Users] SIP Presence Aggregation Issue

Anca Vamanu anca at opensips.org
Thu Apr 1 10:02:33 CEST 2010

Hi all,

This mail is a request for your comments about presence aggregation.
What is your opinion about this? Do you consider it to be a real problem
and which could be the solutions?

Although it is possible to have more clients registering for the same
account and publishing presence information, there are not so many
clients ( none that I know of in fact ) that are able to show more than
one presence state per buddy. So, even if the presence server does
aggregate all the presence information for a contact and sends it to its
watchers, they will see only one presence state, most likely the one in
the top most record.
Therefore, if a contact is registered on three sip clients and two have
the status 'open' and third has 'closed', if it happens that the
published information from the third phone is first in the aggregated
body, its watchers will think that the contact is not online. More than
this, the logic in OpenSIPS presence server at this moment, orders the
records after the criteria 'newest info first'. This means in fact that
if you have a buddy with more phones registered and different states set
on them, you will see a continuous switch of states, depending on which
phone updated the publication last ( not only at status changes, but
also for expires refresh).

In consequence, since the clients are not able to interpret the
aggregated information correctly, we raise the question whether it is
useful to have more intelligence in the presence server. Instead of
merely concatenating the published info and ordering it after the
criteria 'newest-first', maybe we should analyze those contents and
decide which is the most important and should be placed first. What
precedence rules should we consider in this case? If one contact is
'open' probably the first tuple should be open, but how should we deal
with substatuses? Should we concatenate them all? Or maybe we should
permit users to define priorities for the contacts of their phones in an
web interface for example, and use those priorities to order the
presence information. Are there other solutions?

We are interested to know your opinion about this subject.

Anca Vamanu
www.voice-system.ro