[OpenSIPS-Users] Authentication using LDAP attribute with MD5 hash.

João Antunes joao.antunes at tagus.ist.utl.pt
Sun Sep 13 18:25:00 CEST 2009

Hi!

I would like to know if it's possible to use the LDAP module along with
the AUTH module to use LDAP for authenticating SIP users. Of course that
an attribute with the MD5 hash is needed in the LDAP, but i already have
that.

My preliminary research points me in the direction of making a query
with the LDAP code to retrieve the hash and then use some function of
AUTH like pv_www_authorize
(http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/auth.html#id271238)
where the $vars were set through the query to the LDAP. Also I think i
would have to set the parameter calculate_ha1
(http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/auth.html#id228275) not
to calculate the ha1 as it's possible to use the hash as it is straight
from the LDAP query. Am I right about this? I figured that there should
be already lots of people that implemented or tried to implement LDAP
authentication with OPENSIPS without the need to use RADIUS, so here are
my questions:

Are the previous assumptions correct?
Is it possible to do LDAP authentication with OpenSIPS without the use
of the RADIUS server? is it convenient to do so? is there some kind of
catch for me not to have found anything related with that kind of direct
authentication (without the use of RADIUS) with LDAP?
Is this a good way to do this?
Am I missing something on what i need to do, would that suffice, is
there some kind of documentation, webpage, mail thread anybody can point
me to?

Thanks in advance,
João Antunes