[OpenSIPS-Users] Newbie To OpenSIPS

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 8 20:11:50 CEST 2009

Kemp, Larry wrote:
> Can OpenSIPS be used as a Session Border controller sitting at my edge passing and receiving SIP traffic to others I SIP peer with? If not, what other open-source would anyone suggest to act as SBC's? I too would rather do it via open-source and x86 or 64bit chip, less costly. Thanks.

This is mostly a semantic issue.

OpenSIPS is not an SBC in the way that commercial SBCs are SBCs, and
lacks a number of key aspects, including ASIC-assisted processing in the
higher-end ones.

But it can be used for subscriber or carrier-facing edge duty in the
same way SBCs are often used (unnecessarily so).

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems